St. Mary is a large Catholic community in Corvallis, Oregon. Our parish serves the city of Corvallis and surrounding areas, including Philomath. Our focus centers on God’s Love and our desire is to live and spread the Gospel by being true disciples in mission.
Who We Are
St. Mary Catholic Church is a parish of the Archdiocese of Portland and is under the pastoral care of the Saint John Society. Our parishioners come from all walks of life: professors and university students, working professionals and retirees, young parents and immigrants from around the world including a large and vibrant Hispanic community. What we share in common is a love for Jesus that is expressed in our Catholic faith and through our love for one another.
Values and Beliefs
No one can live without the hope that life has ultimate and lasting meaning beyond the concerns and struggles, the joys and satisfactions of each day. Catholics find that meaning and hope in Jesus Christ, whom God the Father has sent into the world for the salvation of all peoples. — U.S. Conference of Catholic Bishops
Our Catholic faith is founded on a belief in God and in his son, Jesus Christ. We believe that Jesus suffered, died, and was resurrected to life. Furthermore, we believe that Jesus is present among us to this day! He is present in the Gospel as the Word of God. He is present in the Eucharist in the guise of bread and wine. And he is present in each one of us as we are members of the Body of Christ.
The Church is a community of human beings who are still subject to sin, and so it is with humility that she offers herself as the meeting place with the living God. — United States Catholic Catechism for Adults
We recognize our own brokenness and because of that recognition, we seek a relationship with God through the Church and her Sacraments. In the midst of our busy lives, with all our difficulties and joys, we find hope, faith, and love in our lives as Catholics.
St Mary Catholic Church has her roots in the pioneer days when Fr. James Croke rode the circuit, saying Mass for the Catholic settlers in the Willamette Valley and Southern Oregon. Now over 150 years old, St Mary parish continues to minister to the needs of Catholics in the heart of Corvallis.
1853 – The first Masses were celebrated in Marysville, near Corvallis, by Fr. James Croke.
1861– The first parish church was built in Corvallis. at 4th and Adams. Total price: $1,300.00.
1912 – The original church was moved to the edge of the 4th and Adams property to make way for a new and larger church. At that time the old church became the first Newman Center as well as the social hall for parishioners.
1946 – Ten acres were purchased at North 25th and Taylor from the estate of Sam Dolan.
1951 – The school building was erected on the current property and dedicated on October 14. It opened with eighty pupils and was staffed by the Sisters of St. Joseph of Newark.
1968 – John Storrs and Associates were hired as architects. The church was dedicated during Thanksgiving week. The St. Vincent de Paul building, the Upper and Lower Social Halls, and the current Pastoral Center were all completed also.
1986– The 125th anniversary of the parish is celebrated.
1989– The parish pays off the parish debt.
1994 – St. Mary’s opens the Perpetual Adoration Chapel.
1996 – An industrial style kitchen is installed in the gym for the use of the parish and Stone Soup, the city of Corvallis’ soup kitchen.
1999– A new bell tower is dedicated on Christmas Eve. The bell was from the original church.
2001 – The old school building receives new paint and carpeting. Ceilings are lowered and insulated and new windows are installed.
2008 – Extensive renovations of the church are started. A bronze crucifix is hung behind the altar. The organ and Marian chapel are moved. New windows and lighting are installed. A baptism font is created. New carpeting and floors are installed and new bathrooms are added. A new ambo and lecturn are designed.
2011 – Parish celebrates 150th anniversary.