October 7, 2018
We started the meeting praying the rosary. Fr. Ignacio encouraged us to follow the request of Pope Francis to pray the rosary every day this month.
We welcomed Beth Schaefers, the new Regent for Catholic Daughters.
Fr. Ignacio clarified the SSJ moves:
- Fr. Ignacio is moving to St. Michael Church in Portland. He will also be involved with the Campus Ministry on Portland State University
- Fr. Lucas will be joining Fr. Ivan in Washington, DC. Along with the House of Studies involving 9 seminarians, they are starting a SJD program and doing campus ministry at American University.
- Fr. Matias will arrive here on October 23.
- Fr. Maximo will stay here with Newman Center.
Fr. Ignacio also shared the areas in the parish where good change has happened: 1) spiritual renewal; 2) more young families involved—through Alpha, baptism prep, Faith Café; 3) facilities—Parish Center, Pastoral Center remodel, landscaping, cemetery; 4) more unified staff.
Areas where he would like to see more: stewardship, volunteers, deeper culture of intentional, individual evangelization (through works of mercy, small groups)
We had reports from four different leaders:
- Religious Education – Lauren Sanders
- Vision for the program to be sustainable, self-renewing, with norms and protocols in place.
- Parent Leadership Committee
- Summer Programs
- Faith Café
- Topics for parents while children are in religious education
- Sharing messages
- Encourage communication within the family
- Youth Ministry – Patrick Gauthier
- Defining the middle school and high school programs
- Refining Confirmation program
- Main goal: encountering Christ through catechesis, works of mercy, scripture
- Core leadership teams – one adult team, one high school leaders
- Theological Academy – Melissa Schlundt
- Summer: Catholicsm from Bishop Robert Baron
- Fall: The Mass also Bishop Robert Baron
- Winter: Carl Olsen, Apologist
- Spring: Theology of the Body – Sr. Bernadette
- A discussion ensued about the different individuals that are unable to attend the evening presentations. It was suggested that we could hold a Theological Academy Encore at 9 a.m. in the Library after one of the daily Masses.
- A need was mentioned about unifying all the during-day-bible studies and promoting them better.
- Newman Center – Fr. Maximo
- They have 7 volunteer missionaries who will work for one year
- There are presently 8 households sharing life together
- Fragua programs
- Special Projects Team: 8 adults assisting with various events
- Newman Lecture Series
- Fall Lecture: Jason Jones, October 26, Milam Auditoriam
- Alpha course for students three times a year.
October 7: Sunday of the Rosary
October 10: SSJ Banquet in Portland
October 12-14: Newman Women Silent Retreat
October 14: Fr. Ignacio Farewell Celebration
October 19: Showing of the movie Bella in the Parish Center, 7 p.m.
October 20: Marriage Enrichment 1-5 p.m. The Five Love Languages
October 26: Newman Lecture
October 26-28: Kairos Retreat (High school)
October 27: Funeral PrePlanning Workshop, Albany
November 3: Next Leadership Team Meeting
November 4: All Saints Celebration for Children
K of C and CDA reading at 11 a.m. Mass of deceased members